Erectile Dysfunction & Diabetes
Erectile Dysfunction and Diabetes
Erectile dysfunction, or ED, is the inability to achieve or sustain an erection suitable for sexual intercourse. Causes include medications, chronic illnesses such as diabetes, poor blood flow to the penis, drinking too much alcohol, or being too tired.
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when the blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high. Blood glucose is the main source of energy and comes from the food one eats. Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps glucose from food get into your cells to be used for energy.
It is estimated that about 75% of men with diabetes will experience at least some degree of erectile dysfunction –( also called ED or impotence) — during their lifetime .Men with diabetes tend to develop erectile dysfunction 10 to 15 years earlier than men without diabetes. As men with diabetes age, erectile dysfunction becomes even more common. Above the age of 50, the likelihood of having difficulty with an erection occurs in approximately 50% of men with diabetes. Above the age of 70, there is about a 95% likelihood of having some difficulty with erectile dysfunction.
Although diabetes and erectile dysfunction (ED) are two separate conditions, they tend to go hand-in-hand. ED is defined as having difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection. Men who have diabetes are two to three times more likely to develop ED.
About half of men who are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes will develop ED within 5 to 10 years of their diagnosis. If those men also have heart disease, their odds of becoming impotent are even greater.
However, studies suggest that if you have diabetes but adopt a healthier lifestyle, you may reduce your diabetes symptoms and improve your sexual health. These lifestyle habits include eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise. Treatment of erectile dysfunction is provided by various doctors across India but If you are looking for ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction treatment in Mumbai(India), It is best done by us – kayakalp international clinics in Mumbai.
We know some people get confused between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
Although type 1 and type 2 diabetes both have stuff in common, there are lots of differences. Like what causes them, who they affect, and how you should manage them
The main thing to remember is that both are as serious as each other. Having high blood glucose (or sugar) levels can lead to serious health complications, no matter whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
*Below is a guide to some of the main differences between type 1 and type 2.
Type -1 The body attacks the cells in your pancreas which means it cannot make any insulin. It (type 1) affects around 8% of everyone with diabetes.
Type – 2 The body is unable to make enough insulin or the insulin you do make doesn’t work properly. While type 2 diabetes affects about 90% of total diabetic cases.
*Type 1 is managed by taking insulin to control your blood sugar.
While you can manage type 2 diabetes in more ways than type 1. These include through medication, exercise and diet. People with type 2 can also be prescribed insulin.
To get an erection, men need healthy blood vessels, nerves, male hormones, and a desire to be sexually stimulated. Diabetes can damage the blood vessels and nerves that control erection. Therefore, even if you have normal amounts of male hormones and you have the desire to have sex, you still may not be able to achieve a firm erection.
The connection between diabetes and ED is related to the circulation and nervous system. Poorly controlled blood sugar levels can damage small blood vessels and nerves. Causing damage to the nerves that control sexual stimulation; thus, these damaged responses can impede a man’s ability to achieve an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. Reduced blood flow from damaged blood vessels can also contribute to ED.
Many other factors bear on erectile dysfunction amongst diabetic men. These include:
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment in Mumbai –
Men with diabetes having trouble with achieving and/or maintaining an erection can take oral medications like sildenafil (Revatio, Viagra), tadalafil (Adcirca, Cialis), Avanafil (Stendra), or Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn).
However, these medicines can affect the heart rate, so detailed consultation with doctor is necessary to determine the best course of action in every individual.
Additional treatments that men with diabetes might want to consider include intra-cavernous injection therapy, vacuum erection (not constriction) devices, venous constriction devices (for venous leak syndrome), intra-urethral therapy, penile prostheses (inflatable and malleable), and sex therapy. Many advances have occurred in both diagnosis and erectile dysfunction treatment in Mumbai.
Vacuum pumps consist of a plastic tube, in which you place your penis. The pump, which can be battery or hand pump operated, creates a vacuum that will draw blood into the penis making it erect. A rubber ring will need to be placed around the bottom of the penis to keep it erect. A vacuum pump is not for use if one has a bleeding disorder or takes anticoagulants.
Intra-cavernosal injection – In this method medicine is given by injection into the penis
- Take Ashwagandhadi churan half teaspoon in the morning & in the night.
- Take Capsule SHILAJIT Two in the morning and Two in the night.
- Take tablet Brihat Bangeshwar ras & Pooranchandra Ras… Each one in the morning and one in the night after food.
- All Four preferably with hot milk or with water
- Also apply and massage Shri Gopal tail on your penis three times a week for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Start taking hot milk twice a day in the morning and in the night with milk.
- Do all the above suggested treatment for 3 months and see the results.
- If you don’t get satisfactory results then please go to your family doctor or a good sexologist.
The most suitable treatment will depend on the health of the patient and their own ability to tolerate the treatment. Specialists can work with individual cases and determine the best Erectile Dysfunction Treatment for every individual. Tips to overcome Erectile Dysfunction
Some tips to avoid erectile dysfunction:
What to do:
- Practice Yoga and meditation regularly to keep away anxiety, depression and stress. Meditation and Yoga are best stress busters.
- Weight reduction helps to increase testosterone level and increases sexual energy and stamina. Weight reduction helps to keep hypertension and diabetes in control. Diabetes causes erectile dysfunction and anti-hypertension medications may cause erectile dysfunction.
- Exercise regularly and daily. Brisk walk for 45 minutes is the best exercise which keeps the cardiovascular system healthy and keeps diabetes under control. Researches have shown that the incidences of erectile dysfunction are less in men who regularly exercise
- Reduce the frequency of masturbation. Masturbating twice in a month is ideal.
- Sleep at least for 8 hours a day. Body gets energized with good sleep.
- Take all steps to prevent indigestion and constipation. Indigestion and constipation vitiate doshas and cause diseases. Hard erections will not occur when body is not healthy.
- Happy and comfortable atmosphere at home is very essential to stimulate sexual desire and keep sexually healthy.
- Work with your doctor to manage diabetes because uncontrolled diabetes can lead to erectile dysfunction.
What not to do:
- Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
- Avoid working for long hours. Take a break from regular routine at weekends and spend time with your partner.
- Do not have the fear of not getting hard erections or do not doubt your ability to satisfy your partner. It will lead to psychological Erectile Dysfunction.
- Do not control natural urges. Empty your bladder before going to bed.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
All these steps will help you to keep your diabetes under control & that in turn will help you in erectile dysfunction.