A Natural Sex Enhancer: Ashwagandha Herb
Sexual dysfunction is a problem that can happen during any phase of the sexual response cycle. The sexual response cycle traditionally includes excitement, plateau, orgasm and resolution. Sexual dysfunction can be any problems that prevent a person or couple from experiencing satisfaction from sexual activity. Some 43% of women and 31% of men report some degree of sexual dysfunction.
The Symptoms of Sexual Dysfunction:
– Inability to achieve or maintain an erection (hard penis), suitable for intercourse.(erectile dysfunction)
– Absent or delayed ejaculation despite enough sexual stimulation. (retarded ejaculation)
– Inability to control the timing of ejaculation. (early, or premature, ejaculation)
– Inability to achieve orgasm.
– Inadequate vaginal lubrication before and during intercourse.
– Inability to relax the vaginal muscles enough to allow intercourse.
Common In Men and Women:
– Lack of interest in or desire for sex.
– Pain while intercourse.
Ashwagandha- A natural sex enhancer herb: Ashwagandha is a rasayan, a natural tonic for your whole body. It is an evergreen shrub that looks similar to a tomato. It has medicinal roots used as a natural treatment for numerous health conditions. Withania Somnifera, popularly known as Ashwagandha, Indian Ginseng or Wintercherry has been used to treat sexual problems for thousands of years. It helps reducing stress levels and enhances the sex hormones.
Ashwagandha is mainly cultivated in India, Middle East, and in some parts of Africa. The root and berry are used to make medicine. The root has a horsey smell (in Sanskrit, ashva means “horse” and gandha means “smell”) and is said to confer the strength and virility of a horse. Various parts of the plant are used, but the most common in supplements is an extract of its roots.
Ashwaghandha for Male Sexual Dysfunction:
1) Natural boosting of testosterone hormone- Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone that is responsible for male characteristics. It helps produce RBCs (red blood cells), improves the quality and quantity of your sperm, and increases your libido. Ashwagandha naturally increases testosterone and luteinizing primary male hormones in your body to improve your sex drive.
2) Improves overall stamina and sexual performance- when men have ashwagandha supplements, it helps them gain muscle and increase stamina. While building muscles, your body burns calories faster and has a better BMR Rate. This increases stamina (even sexual stamina) and gives better endurance, and help one last longer in bed and at the gym.
3) Treat Erectile Dysfunction– Ashwagandha stimulates nitric oxide production in your body. This prevents clogged vessels by natural dilation so that all part of your body, including your penis, gets apt blood flow; treating erectile dysfunction.
4) Overall sexual wellness/ treats lack of libido- Mental conditions such as anxiety and depression are also causes of erectile dysfunction and low sex drive. Treating erectile dysfunction in men by boosting testosterone and improving fertility, helps improve the sex drive. It also helps to combat depression, reducing anxiety and stress, and improving brain function with the help of ashwagandha herb; contributing in overall sexual wellness i.e treating lack of libido.
Ashwagandha for Female Sexual Problems:
1) A medical study showed that women who took a dose of the plant ashwagandha every day over a month saw significant improvements in achieving orgasm and sexual arousal.
2) Ashwagandha helps women improve their libido while also helping one stay without exhaustion for a relatively long time. As a result, it enhances possibilities to achieve orgasm.
3) It also helps in treating endometriosis (i.e. inflammation of the lining of the uterus) and is a powerful uterine tonic. It maintains hormone levels within the blood, strengthens the female reproductive organs and enhances maturation of the eggs into follicles.
Ashwagandha- An aphrodisiac (as a total rejuvenator): Ashwagandha characterizes three different tastes namely Tikta (bitter), Katu (pungent) and Madhura (sweet). It is blessed with Laghu (light) and Snigdha (oily) gunas. It has Ushna Virya (hot potency) and Madhura Vipaka (pungent metabolic property). It aggravates the Pitta doshas (digestion) and pacifies Vata (air) and Kapha (earth and water) doshas. Improving digestion and balancing normal functioning of the doshas. Helps treating several health conditions (including sexual problems) and promoting the vitality and longevity of an individual. Hence it also works as a rejuvenator.
Dosage of Ashwagandha:
1. Ashwagandha Tablets- Take 1 Ashwagandha tablet or as prescribed by the doctor with warm milk or water after taking food twice a day.
2. Ashwagandha Capsules- Take 1 Ashwagandha capsule or as prescribes by the doctor with warm milk or water after taking food twice a day.
3. Ashwagandha Powder (Churna)- Take 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Ashwagandha powder (churna) with milk or honey or as prescribed by the doctor. (The adequate dose for an adult is 6 to 12 grams taken twice a day with milk. It should be taken 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after a meal.)
Tip: 1. Take 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha root powder along with ghee, sugar and honey daily for a 3 month once or twice a day to improve sperm quality.
2. Or, mix 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha root powder in a glass of warm milk. Drink this at bedtime.
The dosage depends upon the patient’s age, sex and severity of the disease; hence it is advised to visit or consult an ayurvedic doctor or practitioner before taking this medicine.
Precaution: Ayurvedic doctor supervision is needed while taking ashwagandha during breastfeeding, pregnancy, hypertension, diabetes; self-medication should be avoided.
Side effects of ashwagandha: Sedation, Low blood pressure, Diarrhea, Nausea, Abdominal pain.
Conclusion: Being a potent aphrodisiac, it improves libido, treats various infertility issues and improves the reproductive health in both men and women. It also ensures better functioning of the heart and improves overall stamina and body immunity. So be it stress, reduced sexual drive, bad mental state or poor sex life ashwagandha is a one-stop solution for most of the needs.