Kaunch Beej – An Aphrodisiac for Sexual Problems
Sexual dysfunction can be any problems that prevent a person or couple from experiencing satisfaction from sexual activity. Some 43% of women and 31% of men report some degree of sexual dysfunction. Modern life style is full of stress and competition thus interferes with physical mechanism of body creating psychosomatic impact leading to sexual inefficiency.
Ayurveda, the traditional system of medicine in India recognized the vital importance of virility and formulated vajikarna therapy. Ayurvedic aphrodisiac enhance the vitality and give sexual power to couples, which enable them to give birth to healthy children. A variety of plants have been used as sex stimulants or sexual performance enhancer in vajikarna; one such plant is Kaunch; we use Kaunch beej as aphrodisiac.
Kaunch Beej: Mucuna pruriens or Kaunch beej is a climbing leguminous plant, that thrives in tropical environs of India, China as well as other warm locales in Asia, Africa and America. It is a leguminous food crop that belongs to the Fabaceae plant family. The plant usually reaches a height of up to 15 meters, with long, flexible branches, vivid green leaves arranged alternately and bearing white flowers. The most-widely consumed part of the kaunch beej plant are the seed pods/legumes, covered by a thick hairy layer and encompassing the four to six seeds, also edible, that are dark brown in colour.
Popularly and quite aptly dubbed as “the magic velvet bean”, “Kaunch Beej” or simply “Kaunch”, “Konch”, “Kevanch” as termed in Hindi, is called “Cowhage”, “Cowitch” in English, “Kapikacchu” in Sanskrit and holds the botanical nomenclature Mucuna pruriens.
Benefits of Kaunch Beej: Every part of Kaunch Beej is extremely useful as they have medicinal values. This is known as a wonder drug, as it can successfully treat a host of medical conditions.
1) Increases sperm quality and quantity: Kaunch beej extract also plays a role in increasing sperm count and also the production and quality of semen, thus improving male fertility. The testosterone hormone is released by Kaunchbeej which also strengthens and builds sexual glands and enhances blood flow to the sex organs. In women, Kaunch Beej is known to normalise ovulation.
2) Increase testosterone level: Kaunch Beej can also play a significant role in increasing testosterone levels. Stimulates the pituitary gland and boosts the secretion of the FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and LH (luteinizing hormone). As a result of this increased level of FSH and LH, the synthesis of testosterone is promoted by the testis.
3) Reduces stress: The antioxidant characteristics of kaunch beej are helpful in reducing level of cortisol that are also the hormones responsible for increasing stress. Additionally, Kaunchbeej also energises the body and increases stamina; this in turn helps in psychological sexual problems.
4) Helps in Pre-mature Ejaculation: Kaunch beej improves sexual performance by delaying the time of ejaculation.
5) Treat Libido: It is useful in promoting blood circulation to the reproductive organ, balancing the hormonal levels and functions as a natural aphrodisiac, improving libido in men.
Working of Kaunch Beej: It has a madhura rasa (sweet taste) with intrinsically laghu and ruksha gunas (light and dry qualities). It possesses ushna virya (heating potency), balancing the kapha (earth and water) dosha (element) while excessively influencing pitta (fire and water) and vata (air and ether) doshas. Moreover, it fosters the positive and equalizing states of mind namely sattva and rajas, effectively. Thus promoting equilibrium of doshas and maintaining all vital functions of the body including reproductive functions.
Dosage of Kaunch Beej:
Kaunch beej Churna – ¼- ½ teaspoon twice a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
Kaunch beej Capsule – 1 capsule twice a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
Kaunch beej Tablet – 1 tablet twice a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
(Add honey to it, Have it preferably after lunch and dinner, Replace honey with lukewarm water or milk if you are diabetic, for improving sperm count, the dose must be taken for at least three months)
Side Effects: Severe Itching, Burning, Swelling etc.
Conclusion: Kaunch Beej is very good and effective in promoting male sexual performance. It works as an excellent aphrodisiac agent and is very helpful in treating various diseases related to sexual heath. It is very helpful in treating diseases like premature ejaculation, low libido, low sperm quality and quantity etc