Sexual dysfunctions are also sometimes called sexual disorders. Sex can be an important part of your health and quality of life, so dealing with sexual dysfunction can be tough physically and emotionally. Sexual disorders are very common, and most of the time they’re treatable. Sexual dysfunction is different from asexuality. It can happen anytime. People of all ages experience sexual dysfunction, although the chances increase as you age.
Four categories of sexual dysfunction exist. It’s normal not to be in the mood sometimes. None of these should be considered a disorder unless it happens regularly and significantly affects your sexual life:
Desire disorder is when you have little or no interest in sexual relations on an ongoing basis.
Arousal disorder means you’re emotionally in the mood, but your body isn’t into it.
Orgasm disorder means you’re emotionally in the mood, but you have an inability to climax that leaves you frustrated.
Pain disorder involves having pain during intercourse.
The causes of sexual dysfunction- Sexual dysfunction can be caused due to both physical as well as psychological factors.
1) Diabetes: Poorly controlled diabetes results in the damage of nerves and blood vessels which may hamper the penile erection.
2) Low testosterone levels: Low level of testosterone causes low sex drive, loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.
3) Cardiovascular disorders: High blood pressure and atherosclerosis (hardening of the blood vessels) alters the level of blood flow in the penile regions leading to erectile dysfunction.
4) Medications: Certain medications such as antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, decongestants, naproxen, indomethacin, and muscle relaxant causes erectile dysfunction.
5) Neuromuscular disease: Neuromuscular conditions such as myotonic muscular dystrophy and Parkinson’s disease may cause sexual dysfunction.
6) Genetic conditions: Sexual dysfunction may also be caused due to congenital condition (conditions which are present at the time of birth). Kennedy’s disease is one such condition in which the testosterone is not transported normally within the cells.
7) Kidney failure: Approximately 80% of patients suffering from kidney failure have sexual dysfunction. It is due to various factors including alteration in the autonomic nervous system, anemia, and endothelial dysfunction.
Various psychological problems cause sexual dysfunction:
1) Sour relationships:
If both the partners are in the sour relationship or are not emotionally connected, there is a low or complete absence of libido.
2) Emotional problems:
If the patient suffers from anxiety, and depression, the risk of sexual dysfunction is significantly increased.
3) Negative sexual experience:
Patient suffering from a past history of sexual trauma such as unnatural sex or molestation have reduced interest and increased the feeling of guilt.
Ayurveda for your sexual issues
Vajikarana or Vrishya chikitsa is a one of eight major specialty of the Ashtanga Ayurveda. This subject is concerned with aphrodisiacs, virility and improving health of progeny. As per Charak Samhita, by proper use of these formulations, one becomes endowed with good physique, potency, strength, and complexion and sexually exhilarated and sexually potent. This in turn is helpful in many common sexual dysfunctions, including Infertility, Premature Ejaculation and Erectile dysfunction.
The medicines or therapy by which the man becomes capable of sexual intercourse with the woman with great strength like a horse, which endears him to women and which nourishes the body of the person is known as Vajikaran. It is best promoter of strength and vigor. The main aim of Vajikaran is always successful copulation for healthy reproduction, with sexual pleasure being just an additional benefit; therefore it is considered a part of ‘eugeny.’ However, this therapy is also described under various sexual and reproductive disease i.e., Klaibya or Erectile dysfunctions, Bandhyatva or Infertitily, Shukraghata Vata or azospermia and premature ejaculation.
How Vajikarana works-
Vajikaran therapy is said to revitalize all the seven dhatus (body elements), therefore, restores equilibrium and health. Rasayan drugs acts inside the human body by modulating the neuro-endocrino-immune system. Vaajikaran rasayan is the special category of rasayan, which improve the reproductive system and enhance sexual function. They act on higher center of the brain, i.e the hypothalamus and limbic system. Vajikaran also claims to have anti-stress, adaptogenic actions, which helps to alleviate anxiety associated with sexual desire and performance. This in parts can explain the positive effect of the herbs on sexual functioning.
Ayurveda deals with sexual dysfunction through a holistic approach by managing both body and mind.
Following are the approaches available in the old ayurvedic literature for treating sexual dysfunction:
1) Vajikarana therapy focuses on a healthy body as well as the mind. According to Ayurveda, managing psychological factors are equally important in attaining sexual satisfaction. This therapy helps to improve the strength and enhances the span of erection.
Some Ayurvedic herbs are used in preparation for this therapy: vrihani gutika, vrishya gutika, vajikarana ghrita, upatyakari shashtikadi gutika, medadi yog and shatavari.
Single ayurvedic drugs like Satavari, Ashwaganda, Shilajatu, Kaunch beej, Musli also works great as aphrodisiac.
2) Various herbal preparations containing Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Gokshur, and Musli are available to improve sexual performance. It is always suggested to consult an ayurvedic expert for proper dosage of the herbs to avoid unwanted side effects.
3) Meditation should be routinely performed to take control of your mind and to remain stress-free.
4) Consumption of alcohol, drugs such as heroin and smoking should be avoided.
5) There should be a gap (optimally 2 days) between two intercourses to regain libido and strength.
6) Take good sleep to remain fresh and active.
7) Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins that may interfere in the sexual desire.
Added benefit of Ayurveda-
Ayurvedic medicine tries to find the root cause of the disease while others only provide management of the symptoms. Ayurvedic medicines are devoid of side effects when taken as directed which make them have no side effects and safe for long term use.
Tip to take
Vajikaran is an important treatment modality as per Ayurveda and proposed benefits are manifold including increased sexual capacity, improving health of future progeny as well as in treatment of many common sexual disorders like infertility, erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Ayurveda focus on the root cause of the sexual dysfunction, then works in reversing the cause; balancing the bodily doshas i.e. giving permanent solution to the problem. Sexual dysfunction treatment is effectively possible with Ayurveda, and it is best done with our sex experts at Kaya kalp international clinics in Mumbai; India.