Erectile Dysfunction & Alcohol
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is defined as failure to obtain or sustain an erection until completion of satisfactory sexual activity.
Alcohol is a drug that can affect the body in many ways. Once swallowed, alcohol is rapidly absorbed in the blood and moves to all the part of the body, including to sexual organs of the body. Studies have shown that all aspects of the body’s sexual response are ultimately affected by alcohol. The most common effects are erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation & low sexual desire.
Alcohol is often viewed as an aphrodisiac, but this label is far from the truth. Believe it or not, a great number of studies have conclusively shown prolonged abuse of alcohol results in sexual issue like erectile dysfunction. Alcohol is a depressant; as you drink, your body systems slow down considerably. Ultimately, these depressant effects sexual performance.
According to the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), moderate drinking is no more than two drinks a day for men (and one drink a day for women). The liver can only break down the amount of alcohol in about one standard-size drink in an hour, so regularly drinking more than that means that toxins from alcohol can build up in your body and affect the organs, including those involved in sex. Regularly consuming more alcohol causes toxins to build up in the body, ultimately leading to clinical signs of sexual dysfunction. Of those who are alcohol-dependent, approximately 61 to 72 percent experience sexual dysfunction.
Alcohol, generally termed as’’ Madya’’ in Ayurveda, possesses many qualities. It is light, hot, penetrating & spreads rapidly in the body. It increases pitta; to be more precise. Simultaneously, it alleviates Kapha & Vata. These aggravated doshas cause disturbance in the normal functioning of the body system; including sexual system leading to problems like erectile dysfunction, pre-mature ejaculation etc.
Carbonated beers cause Vata aggravation due to the presence of gas or air. If it’s chilled, then, of course, it is again aggravating the Vata dosha due to cold properties. Liquors that are strong or dense increase pitta, and It gives a burning sensation when consumed. Dense foods are usually taken along with red wine. Red wine is hotter & improves digestion. It enhances pitta because of similar qualities. White wine is less hot than red wine; it does not influence doshas like other beverages. Fruit beverages are cool, as well as nourishing. It has similar properties to Kapha dosha. Alcohol causes addiction as well as intoxication.
The amount of alcohol consumed is a predictor of developing dysfunctions, with drinking significantly heavy, increases the risk of sexual dysfunction.
Here’s a look at what alcohol does to sexual system & body systems when consumed:
• Erectile dysfunction :
Dehydration causes decreased blood volume and increased angiotensin, a hormone associated with erectile dysfunction. Long-term alcohol abuse can cause damage to the nervous system, which is responsible for triggering the signals that cause an erection. Studies have also shown that prolonged abuse can cause irreversible damage to the nerves in the penis. Additional studies have shown erectile dysfunction is present in alcohol abusers even when they are sober.
•Temporary erectile dysfunction :
Researchers have found that too much alcohol affects both your brain and your penis. Sober men were able to achieve an erection more quickly than intoxicated men — and some men are unable to have an erection at all after drinking.
That’s because pre-sex boozing decreases blood flow to your penis, reduces the intensity of your orgasm, and can dampen your level of excitement (in other words, even if you are able to have sex, it may not be nearly as pleasurable as it would be without the excess alcohol).
• Long-term erectile dysfunction :
The risk for long-term erectile dysfunction has been linked to chronic heavy use of alcohol. In fact, studies show that men who are dependent on alcohol have a 60 to 70 percent chance of suffering from sexual problems. The most common of these are erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, and loss of sexual desire. Treatment of erectile dysfunction is provided by various doctors across India but If you are looking for ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction treatment in Mumbai(India), It is best done by us – kayakalp international clinics in Mumbai.
•Decreased sexual desire–
Persistent or recurrent deficiency or absence of desire for sexual activity giving rise to marked distress and interpersonal difficulty;
•Difficulty in erection–
Recurrent or persistent, partial or complete failure to attain or maintain an erection until the completion of the sex act;
•Difficulty in achieving orgasm—
Persistent or recurrent delay in or absence of orgasm, following a normal sexual excitement phase;
Persistent or recurrent ejaculation with minimal sexual stimulation, before, on or shortly after penetration and before the person wishes it, which causes marked distress.
•The sexual repercussions of smoking:
If you are someone who tends to have smoking while drinking, you could be further increasing your risk for ED. For men under the age of 40, smoking is the biggest cause of erectile dysfunction — and studies show that men who smoke more than 10 cigarettes daily are at an increased risk for erectile dysfunction. When erectile dysfunction treatment haven’t helped you, Kayakalp International clinics in Mumbai is the right solution.
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, alcohol use beyond moderation is associated with relationship problems that include conflict, infidelity, economic insecurity, and divorce. In addition, 90% of all sexual assaults involve alcohol consumption.
Another big risk when combining sex and alcohol? Getting exposed to a sexually transmitted disease. Studies show that almost 50% of unplanned sexual encounters involve alcohol, and 60% of STDs are transmitted when alcohol is involved. Young adults who use alcohol are seven times more likely to have unprotected sex.
•Delay or prevention of orgasm:
One study found that 11% of alcohol users had problems reaching orgasm.
Alcohol abuse affects hormone levels. It lowers testosterone levels, which diminishes sexual drive and function.
Dehydration caused by alcohol consumption can result in vaginal dryness.
Alcohol dehydrates, taking away the blood and oxygen flow needed to bring greater sensation to the genitals.
•Nervous system depressant:
Respiration, circulation, and nerve ending sensitivity are all suppressed. So, for better and healthier sex life try to avoid Alcohol intake.
Whether you feel you might have a problem with alcohol and want to cut back, or you want to know how to keep your drinking under control, use these guidelines:
1) DO formulate a mission statement. Why you want to cut down or stop your drinking? Write down your reasons. It sounds silly but it’ll make you take the challenge more seriously.
2) DON’T go out with people who make you feel uncomfortable if you’re not drinking. IF you ever feel as though you could be easily persuaded to drink, make alternative plans with friends who are less inclined to include alcohol in their fun.
3) DO set a liquor limit. Telling yourself you will not drink during the week, or that you’ll have no more than one drink a day, will get your mind set not to exceed your maximum.
4) DON’T guzzle. When you are drinking, take hour-long breaks between drinks. Drinking faster than your body can feel the effects can get you into real trouble. Avoid drinking games, you’ll end up drinking more alcohol, more quickly than your body can handle.
5) DO alternate alcoholic beverages with non-alcoholic drinks, like soda or juice.
6) DON’T keep beer, wine, or hard liquor at home. It will be easier to resist if it is simply not there.
7) DO take a vacation form drinking. Notice how good you feel, physically and emotionally, during that time.
8) DO save the cash you don’t waste getting wasted. Whenever you refuse an alcoholic beverage, put the amount of money you saved in a jar. You can put your money toward spring break, dinner with friends, or that new jacket you’ve been eyeing but thought you couldn’t afford.
9) DO eat before you start consuming any alcohol, and continue to munch while you drink. Eating while you drink slows down how quickly you get drunk.
10) DON’T go to places where you’ll be bored if you’re not drinking or where you’ll feel socially uneasy is you don’t have a drink in your hand.
11) DO keep a drinking diary. Write down how many drinks you consume over a month-long period and how much it costs you. When you realize how much dough you are sinking on drinking, it might give you incentive to cut down your alcohol intake even further.
Natural Ways to Fight Addictions
* Consultation with a trained counselor
* Yoga and pranayama
* Herbal Remedies
Five alternatives to alcohol to enhance mood and release stress
* Choose exercise and relaxation techniques to release stress.
* Try breathing techniques to relieve anxiety.
* Open up about your battle with alcohol.
* Focus on improving sleep quality and quantity with natural ayurvedic techniques.
* Engage in activities that enhance your mood. Be it a walk down the park, painting, dancing or music.
BENEFITS OF QUITTING ALCOHOL-
- Improved Sleep.
- Improved mental health.
- Better looking skin.
- Improved immunity.
- Reduced cardiac risk for diseases like Arteriosclerosis, cardiac arrest, high cholesterol, obesity, cardiac failure, hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
- Lower risk of cancer.
- It compromises relationship by having sexual dysfunction, lower sperm count, etc
These benefits are just beginning. The longer you go without alcohol, the more health improvements you will experience. This will include for-the-better changes in your overall health, relationships, job or schoolwork, finances, and more.
1) Counselling– Counselling is often a consideration, both where a psychological cause is suspected or must be ruled out, or to assist in management of any distress. The therapy includes both addictions to alcohol and erectile dysfunction.
2) Additional treatments that men might want to consider include intra-cavernous injection therapy, vacuum erection (not constriction) devices, venous constriction devices (for venous leak syndrome), intra-urethral therapy, penile prostheses (inflatable and malleable), and sex therapy.
Vacuum pumps consist of a plastic tube, in which you place your penis. The pump, which can be battery or hand pump operated, creates a vacuum that will draw blood into the penis making it erect. A rubber ring will need to be placed around the bottom of the penis to keep it erect. A vacuum pump is not for use if one has a bleeding disorder or takes anticoagulants.
Intra-cavernosal injection – In this method medicine is given by injection into the penis
I am suggesting some Ayurvedic medicines
Take Ashwagandhadi churan half teaspoon in the morning & in the night.
Take Capsule SHILAJIT One in the morning and one in the night
Take tablet Brihat Bangeshwar ras one in the morning one and one in the night after food.
All three preferably with hot milk or with water
Also apply and massage Shri Gopal tail on your penis three times a week for 2 to 4 minutes.
Start taking hot milk with 2-3 dates twice a day in the morning and in the night with milk.
Do all the above-suggested treatment for 3 months and see the results.
If you don’t get satisfactory results then please go to your family doctor or a good sexologist.
The most suitable treatment will depend on the health of the patient and their own ability to tolerate the treatment. Specialists can work with individual cases and determine the best treatment for every individual.
Conclusion– Alcoholic drinks have to be consumed with respect to the body constitution, digestive capacity, and health condition, along with a balanced diet. So, for better and healthier sex life; try to avoid Alcohol intake.